[Xfce-i18n] xfce4-weather-plugin string freeze

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Fri Jan 25 18:55:36 CET 2013

Hi,

Am 25.01.2013 18:16, schrieb Seong-ho Cho:
> excuse me, but there is no pot file in the xfce transifex site. someone
> and I need pot file to complete translation.
> (but I found a way how to create pot manually from the source tree of
> the xfce4-weather-plugin at now :S.)
> so could I give some advice for helping translators?
>
> some translators can be as a developer, but another translators are NOT(
> they're being for just "translation" ). I'm one of the latter. :P
> most of all translators are sluggardly to create pot file and some of
> them don't care how to make pot file or update translation message list.
>
> xfce4-weather-plugin source tree would be better to have some script to
> create po-template file. that just contains below two line.
> (you can name that file as "createpot.sh" or as your prefer.)
>
> #!/bin/bash
> /usr/bin/xgettext --keyword=_ --add-comments --from-code=UTF-8
> panel-plugin/*.[ch] --output=~/xfce4-weather-plugin.master.untitled.pot
>
> (this script will be made pot file for xfce4-weather-plugin into
> home-root-directory.)
> if we run this script on the source tree root(we maybe know that we
> should better to install gettext package into the system until execute
> this script. this package is *required* to extract message into pot
> file), we'll get one complete pot file for translating
> xfce4-weather-plugin's ui message. we can update po message list quickly
> from pot file by using an editor such as poedit, gtranslator, or babel.

While I will not include the separate script, I'll update the
appropriate section in the README file with your useful information
about creating pot files.

If you want to update an existing translation file (po file), then the
only thing needed is running "make update-po" in the plugin's po
directory. Of course, you'll need the automake package for this, in
addition to gettext, and configure the plugin for building as described
in 3 steps in the README. Or alternatively, maybe this article would
work too:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/739314/easiest-way-to-generate-localization-files

> if this way is not considered as useful thing, please tell transifex
> translation system to make pot file automatically when source tree is
> changed.

I'm sorry, but I cannot do anything about transifex, only regenerate po
files myself using "make update-po" as described above and commit to
git. I don't know who maintains transifex, but I guess it is not done
automatically because it would produce many commits, and if people
upload the files after transifex recreates the po file, they would still
upload an older version. Of course, it would be nice if transifex could
produce an updated po file by itself and return it for download.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'