[Xfce-i18n] genghiskhan at gmx.ca

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Tue Jan 15 20:40:30 CET 2013

Am 15.01.2013 19:47, schrieb Genghis Khan:
> Hallo,
>
> ‎תאריך: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:08:11 +0100
>   ‎מאת: Harald Judt <h.judt at gmx.at>
>
>> Am 15.01.2013 08:17, schrieb Genghis Khan:
>>> Dear Harald,
>>>
>>> First of all, congratulations and kudos!
>>> This release has some educational value.
>>
>> Thanks! I hope it's not overkill. I could have written all those
>> explanations in the README or use comments in the source code, but
>> then who would read it there? This way, we have the FAQ built-in ;-)
>
> I think that now GNOME and MATE should build an equivalent to XfApplet
> in order to utilize xfce4-weather-plugin with their panels :-D
>
> This way you have more educated people. In any case, developers should
> be careful with such verbose design of applications that meant to be
> efficient (such as LXDE and Xfce) in order to not to affect RAM usage
> of devices and computers with lower resources.

Note though that images/icons are usually the main memory hogs. In
comparison, all those strings are not even worth mentioning. You'll
notice when you open the forecast window with all those icons while
monitoring the memory usage with a tool like top.

> Bottom line, what you have done is absolutely great.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

>>> * What is the difference between "International knots (kt)" to
>>> "knots"?
>>
>> I decided to use "International knots" to indicate it is using the
>> current definition of knots (1 nautical mile). I've read about
>> different definitions of knots, and then perhaps stumbled over the
>> term on the English wikipedia page. Maybe we could just use "knots",
>> because it's the same with foot/feet, which was defined differently
>> in every country but is standardized nowadays too. It's a matter of
>> taste, I wouldn't mind changing it. Any more opinions on this?
>
> I do not care.
>
> Note: If all your measurement units are in accord with SI, and SI is
> naming knots as knots then I guess that there is no need to write
> anything other than knots. I could be wrong.

I've prepared a patch to remove "international" from knots, but will
wait with po regeneration until Sunday or so and send a mail with a
short list of changes to this mailing list when it's done.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'