[Xfce-i18n] Documentation Wiki Online

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 09:17:41 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 1:50 AM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Montag, den 09.01.2012, 10:19 +0100 schrieb Nick Schermer:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As some of you have noticed the documentation wiki is online
>> (docs.xfce.rog) and we've started to add the first pages and connect
>> the help buttons to the correct page in the wiki (function for that
>> has been added in the libxfce4ui 4.9.0 release).
>>
>> I've removed all the *-doc from translations.xfce.org and if the
>> manual moved to the wiki I've removed the docbook manual + images from
>> master too.
>
> I find this rather confusing. AFAICS you removed the resources from
> transifex before you made this announcement. As a result, people are
> confused and afraid their recent work was lost. We had four new
> translators in the German team and we have worked quite a bit on the
> documentation in the last two weeks and now these efforts seem useless.
>
> I know the files still exist in git, but I wonder if we could at least
> move them to the 4.8 branch.

That is up to you guys, get the po files from git and submit them for
the 4.8 docs. That should go fine since there are no manual changes.

The docs (that existed) were partly useless too, so that makes the
translations no different. Is is amazing people translated this in the
first place.

> The wiki raises even more questions:
>     1. What about offline documentation? Your initial announcement only
>        was about API docs, but user docs should really be installed
>        locally I think.

I've posted this earlier and also in the blog post: at first we won't
have offline docs. Once the manuals start to shape up, we will look
into an xfce4-docs package. I just need content to work with.

>     2. How do we manage users in the wiki? I usually only approve
>        people for the German translators team after they have confirmed
>        they read various resources and subscribed to the relevant
>        mailing list. With the wiki I no longer have control over the
>        team.
>     3. What should the workflow for submitting and reviewing
>        translations look like? We have strings that undergo 3 or 4
>        reviews until all people are happy. How would you do this in the
>        wiki where every random person can edit any file?

Maybe you don't, but I have. We can create separate teams per-language.

>     4. We have translators who want to work offline with their favorite
>        tools such as poedit or vim. How can they do this in the wiki?

You can write wiki content offline too. If you copy the English
source, you can easily translate it.

>     5. How do we handle translator credits?

We can put that in the footer of a page, imho your free to do what you
want in your translated pages.

> I appreciate your intention to have better docs, but to me it looks like
> this idea was not thought trough and needed more discussion.

Too late.

This path leads to better english docs and I value that more then
translated docs that are not there or don't apply. The wiki runs the
translation plugin, just like wiki.xfce.org, so once pages start to
shape up (english), each team can work on the translations.

The way I see it, is that for example the German team has say 4 wiki
contributors. Someone translates a page, you folks discuss it on a ml
or whatever and then it is committed in the wiki. You can also put a
note in the top of the page the translation is being worked on and
people comment internally on sections.

Nick