[Xfce-i18n] Mousepad masked for removal in Gentoo

Mișu Moldovan dumol at xfce.org
Sat Jan 29 14:09:09 CET 2011

Hi everyone,

Gentoo has scheduled Mousepad for removal because it is unmaintained. At
http://translations.xfce.org/projects/p/apps/r/master/l/ro/ I see that
there hasn't been a release since version 0.2.16 on 2009-02-26 by
Jannis Pohlmann. I would gladly argue with the Gentoo developers, but
shouldn't someone make a new release of Mousepad anyway? At least three
bugs were fixed and a slew of translations were checked in as logged at
http://git.xfce.org/apps/mousepad/log/ . Also, it seems there's a need
to remove some deprecated requirements: xfprint and libxfegui4.

Anyway, it seems strange to find that Mousepad is scheduled for removal
in Gentoo. I thought it was an officially supported app in Xfce. Or at
least that's what I see when translating Xfce apps in Romanian at
http://translations.xfce.org/projects/p/apps/r/master/l/ro/ .

Here's what Gentoo's Portage system said to me after the last update:

!!! The following installed packages are masked:
- app-editors/mousepad-0.2.16-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Samuli Suominen <ssuominen at gentoo.org> (22 Jan 2011)
# Printing is broken because of xfprint requirement.
# Package is using deprecated libxfcegui4 instead of libxfce4ui.
# No development in about year at upstream git.
#
# Use app-editors/leafpad instead.
#
# Masked for removal in 30 days.