[Xfce-i18n] About possible switch to Transifex 0.8.0

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 00:25:51 CET 2010

Translators,

Because Transifex 0.8.0devel brings some nice features compared to the
version we're currently running (and also some needed fixes in the
code and appliance), I'm thinking about making the switch once some
minor issues are fixed. However there are some changes in for example
the online translator that make is harder to use when updating
translations, SO IT'S UP TO YOU GUYS whether we switch or stick with
0.7.3.

Some of the biggest changes:

The online translator (Lotte) now generates server-side pages, which
means the 200 strings limit is removed.
The downside is they haven't implemented filtering (see
http://transifex.org/ticket/378), so what you will get is something
like this: http://foo-projects.org/~nick/screenshots/tx-01.png. Makes
it hard to find that 1 string that is fuzzy or untranslated.

Translation teams have been added, which is a good thing. It gives a
nice overview which users are translating in a language and also
handles permissions (you can only edit/update/lock your language) and
probably more i haven't figured out yet . See
http://foo-projects.org/~nick/screenshots/tx-02.png and
http://foo-projects.org/~nick/screenshots/tx-03.png.
A downside of this is that you cannot share translation teams between
projects. To work around this i wrote some sql we can run on the
server (cronjob) to automatically setup the groups, this will render
the add/delete/join features in a team useless, but we're not going to
manage 3762 teams by hand (99 projects, 38 languages). It requires
setting the right language in your user profile and being in the
correct group (translators group, so introduction on this ml is still
required, + valid registration etc). Of course you can easily join
another group by changing the language in your profile, but i hope you
guys are mature enough to not abuse that ;-), ie. not worse then what
we have right now.

So what will it be? 0.7.3 or wait until the online translator supports
filtering...

Nick