[Xfce-i18n] Transifex issue

Per Kongstad p_kongstad at op.pl
Thu Nov 26 12:02:30 CET 2009

Hi,

Og Maciel wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 3:12 AM, Per Kongstad <p_kongstad at op.pl> wrote:
>> The comment above is also related to the #325 which is planned to be
>> in milestone 9. Please have a look at it on transifex.net. To add
>> the solution to milestone 8 shouldn't be a big issue. I have raised
>> the issue also here on this list with a solution to no avail.
>> "We are not going to hack on Transifex" was the reply.
>
> I can understand this reply as if the problem exists, which seems to
> be the case, it is an upstream problem and not Xfce's. The correct
> thing to do is wait for Transifex to fix it and then get the update. I
> just took a look at issue #325 and sounds like it should be pretty
> easy to fix. Let me talk to the Tx guys about it today.

Still the same status after another month waiting! One have to show a
lot of patience for such a simple correction to be made.
So this raises the question if Transifex is the solution to go with.
Please don't get me wrong on this, but if simple solutions are not
implemented easy and fast how do you think more complex matters are
handled?
>> My point is just that a translator most likely just want to have a
>> reliable system without having to know how it is working.
>> If you cannot have trust in the system and zero reaction for taking
>> care of them I'm pretty sure that many will just give up.
>> I'm starting to think this way myself.
>
> Please don't feel that way as the system is working for the most part
> really well. Now that we've started this thread we can get the right
> parties engaged and fix it really quick. I completely understand your
> frustration but believe me when I tell you that the Transifex guys do
> keep our (us translators) best interests at heart.
And on this part I disagree with you. The old system was more reliable
and did the work for translators. We have issues with .pot files
containing more strings than is found in the localized file. So now we
have to spend time on checking the stats to find out if translation is
complete. See this thread on the mailinglist '[Xfce-i18n] Entries
missing?'. So now we are doing more bookkeeping than translations!
Maybe it demanded some more handwork behind the scene.

> Thanks again for getting this going. I'll do my best to relay
> information from both ends via this mailing list so that everyone is
> updated on the progress (and we will make progress I'm sure) of this
> issue.
>
> Cheers,
I know that the tone in this reply is a little hard, but believe me, I
have done what i could do in the past and the result is still lacking
somehow. I'm just pointing out the weaknesses.

Cheers,

/Per