[Xfce-i18n] string statistics & more

Per Kongstad p_kongstad at op.pl
Mon Jun 22 10:35:29 CEST 2009

Hi Gabor,

As I understand it, the officiel place for svn for Xfce is
svn.xfce.org and I don't think that Transifex is pointing to this! So
to synch the 2 repos a script has to be employed.

Using non officiel tools to maintain might not be adviseable. It will
create more issues than solutions.

Gabor Kelemen wrote:
> Per Kongstad írta:
>> But what is the advantage for you to use Transifex over the Xfce?
>>

> I see currently two advantages:
> - Po files and statistics are updated automagically on code change
> in repository - this is why the stats linked by Evangelos on the
> Transifex page are not the same as the ones on the xfce page. For
> example:
I agree to this limitation compared to twice a day update on the Xfce
stats.
No, Danish translation is nearly 100 % and compare this to Transifex
which shows far from 100%.

> http://i18n.xfce.org/stats/show_po.php?lang=hu&branch=xfce/trunk&component=libexo&po
>
> "POT-Creation-Date: 2009-04-08 13:54+0200\n"
> "PO-Revision-Date: 2009-06-09 03:10+0200\n"
>
> and
> http://www.transifex.net/projects/libexo/trunk/view/po/hu.po
> "POT-Creation-Date: 2009-06-21 22:31+0000\n"
> "PO-Revision-Date: 2009-06-09 03:10+0200\n"
>
> One of these contains two fuzzy strings, while the other one makes
> me think everything is fine. Which is which?
The officiel svn will be the one used for compiling packages. So I
think that will give you the answer.

> - Possibility of committing via a web interface. No more waiting for
> svn up commands to complete. No more unnecessary bandwidth-wasting.
> This can be very important to translators with narrow band access
> only - see the gnome-i18n@ archives since the git migration for
> evidence :).
>
> +1:
Well you can check out only the po file directly from Xfce stats.
> - There is also some support for team workflow, so that one
> translator can lock the file he is working on, preventing others to
> make duplicate work.
>
> Certainly, adopting Transifex would mean some extra work for the web
> site maintainers, but I think from the translator's point of view,
> it would worth it.
Well for now migration from svn to git is having priority and will be
done within nearest future.

Transifex or Danmed Lies might be better, but for now I think that
using the official repo will create less confusion.
But it might be a good suggestion for the future.