[Xfce-i18n] [de][Patch] xfce4-web-browser mistranslation

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Sun Sep 28 13:42:31 CEST 2008

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 12:17:33 +0200, Christian Dywan
<christian at twotoasts.de> wrote:

> Am Fri, 26 Sep 2008 19:23:24 +0200
> schrieb Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
>
> > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 20:40:36 +0200, Enrico Tröger
> > <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> >
> > > On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 23:39:32 +0200, Christian Dywan
> > > <christian at twotoasts.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,

> > > I completely agree to remove 'Mozilla' from the translation as
> > > there was never a direct relation between Mozilla and a web
> > > browser (and because now we have a much better one :D ). But I
> > > don't think we need to change the translation 'Web-Browser'. Yes,
> > > it isn't a German word but there is also no German word which
> > > could describe it in a sane way. So, I'd suggest to remove
> > > Mozilla and keep 'Web-Browser'.

> > > I don't think so, 'Konsole' would be even worse as it reminds more
> > > to KDE's konsole. I'd say 'Terminal' is fine as it is the name of
> > > the general application type 'terminal emulation' and it fits the
> > > name of Xfce's default terminal emultion application 'Terminal'.
> > > So, I'd say changing it would cause even more confusion.

> > > Attached is a patch which fixes the 'Mozilla' problem as mentioned
> > > above and also translates the missing fuzzy and untranslated
> > > strings. The patch also fixes some missing menu accelerators.
> >

> > *ping*
>
> Oops, forgot to actually reply. Thanks for the reminder.
>
> > msgid "Web Browser"
> > -msgstr "Mozilla (Web-Browser)"
> > +msgstr "Web-Browser"
>
> Like I said initially, I would personally translate it. For instance
> with 'Netznavigator', but I leave it up to you.

To be honest, I hate 'Netznavigator'. Its meaning is so far away from
what Web-Browser means. Of course, if you translate it literally it
might fit but it is still not good.
I'd like to keep it 'Web-Browser'.

> > #: ../modules/menu/menu-data/xfce4-terminal.desktop.in.h:1
> > msgid "Terminal"
> > msgstr "Terminal"
>
> > > I don't think so, 'Konsole' would be even worse as it reminds more
> > > to KDE's konsole. I'd say 'Terminal' is fine as it is the name of
> > the general application type 'terminal emulation' and it fits the
> > > name of Xfce's default terminal emultion application 'Terminal'.
> > > So, I'd say changing it would cause even more confusion.
>
> Incidentally I've had access to a mac last week and tried to find a
> command line - it turned out it had a "Terminal" and a "Konsole", one
> of them was actually a log file viewer.
>
> I don't use KDE but I see the problem with "konsole". What about
> "Kommandozeile"? That would not conflict with any application name as
> far as I can say and it's just as common as "Konsole".

I can live with "Kommandozeile" even I still don't understand why
always everything has to be translated. Sometimes the English terms are
just better, more unique and easier to understand.

> > msgid "Cannot create backdrop list \"%s\""
> > -msgstr "Liste mit Hintergrundbildern erstellen"
> > +msgstr "Kann Datei »%s« für die Liste von Hintergrundbildern nicht
> > erstellen"
>
> I would tend to write "Liste der Hintergrundbilder" here as you did in
> other places as well, but no strong opinion.

Er, yes of course and then it is actually German and not only an
iteration of German words :).

Attached is a complete new patch including the above mentioned changes.
And for the interested there is also an interdiff of both patches.

Regards,
Enrico