[Xfce-i18n] Spanish translation team wiki page created

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Wed Oct 15 12:24:23 CEST 2008

Am Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:02:51 +0200
schrieb "Leandro Regueiro" <leandro.regueiro at gmail.com>:

> >> I suggest, you should pick one 'default', whatever it is, and
> >> then, if you have enough time, make additional local versions.
> >>
> >> I'd like to see you unify most of the Xfce components as
> >> appropriate, for instance I took a look over the wiki page and it
> >> says 'File ___ Archivo' whereas Thunar currently uses the term
> >> 'Fichero'. This is just one example I easily spotted because it's
> >> a toplevel item, there might be others.
> >
> > Yes, actually I wasn't sure about how to translate "File", but
> > "Thunar" identifies itself as "Administrador de archivos" and not
> > "Administrador de ficheros" or "Gestor de ficheros" in Spanish.
> > Another point for "Archivo" is that many other applications use this
> > word instead of "Fichero", plus shortcut keys to access the
> > "Archivo" menu have been Alt+A for a long time in many applications
> > and OSs. I think this translation suits better because of the
> > historical usage of the word "Archivo". My personal preference
> > would have been "Fichero", but as you can see I didn't translate it
> > arbitrarily.
>
> Archivo is the traditional translation in spanish for File.

I actually would also tend to prefer Archvio, off the top of my
head, since it is more common in the applications I've been using.
However since I'm not solely using ES_es for all of my purposes I would
not count my experience as representative.

> >> Personally I would also suggest using the Spanish term 'red' as in
> >> 'Navegador red', but that's up to you and other translators, feel
> >> free to disregard my opinion. ^_^
> >>

> > "Navegador de red" sounds to me like a tool used to analyze a
> > network. I think "red" has a broader meaning, and "web" has a
> > particular one: the world wide web. Nowadays "web" is a common word
> > in Spain.
>
> Navegador web or simply Navegador.

For what I want, 'net(work)' is the broader term here, and the 'world
wide web' is merely a special incarnation of a network, based on
defined protocols. Hence in the context both makes equally sense.

In any case, it's but my personal preference, so go ahead.