[Xfce-i18n] [de][Patch] xfce4-web-browser mistranslation

Fabian Nowak timystery at arcor.de
Wed Oct 1 16:54:33 CEST 2008

> > > To be honest, I hate 'Netznavigator'. Its meaning is so far away
> > > from what Web-Browser means. Of course, if you translate it
> > > literally it might fit but it is still not good.
> > > I'd like to keep it 'Web-Browser'.
> >
> > Hm... why far away? What you are doing is navigating. What you are
> > navigating is the web. In fact, English uses the term navigating
> > as a synonym for browsing in the context. And languages like French
>
> It seems we can't get to an agreement on this :). Therefore it'd be
> cool if any other German translators could state on this, I'm fine to
> use 'Netzvaigator' if others think this fits well and I didn't know
> that it is similar in French and Spanish.
> Sorry.

Web-Browser ain't German, as it is one of these stupid "I have to avoid
Deppenleerzeichen" translations. A nice and fitting term is
"Webbrowser". By its writing, it is fitted into German  writing style,
it is quickly readable. We never started the French way of keeping our
language, so we can't start it now by introducing previously unknown,
new terms. To navigate some strange "Netz" ain't any better than to
browse the already known world-wide web, frequently referred to as the
"Web" in German everyday language as well -- in contrast to "Netz".

> > > I can live with "Kommandozeile" even I still don't understand why
> > > always everything has to be translated. Sometimes the English terms
> > > are just better, more unique and easier to understand.

Sometimes, I have access to Macintoshs as well, and (in contrast to the
Microsoft translators who can't even use the passee composee in French
properly, see network settings...) they know what they are doing.

The German term "Konsole" is a side-board, some piece of furniture for
your flat/house.

What we are instead using already since the 1960s, is a Terminal in both
English and German language. So it really can't be regarded as a
non-German word, it might still be called a foreign word, but I'D rather
say it has already become a lenaing word. And inside the Terminal,
there's a command line, whose direct and bad translation is
"Kommandozeile", because we have a way nicer word for the strange
"Kommando" which is simply "Befehl". And this one directly reflects what
you are doing inside a Terminal: you enter commands -- "Befehle".

So it's a nice, easily understandable "Befehlszeile" and nothing else
when you're referring to the prompt (don't argue with translations found
on dict.leo.org, that's as ridiculous as referring to Wikipedia for
argumentation), or you are referring to the application, the
achievable/achieved task where it is a "Terminal".

Anyway, Duden neither knows any of them.

Fabian