[Xfce-i18n] Update of German translations for some Goodies

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Sun Nov 9 23:17:33 CET 2008

Am Sun, 09 Nov 2008 22:48:38 +0100
schrieb Fabian Nowak <timystery at arcor.de>:

> Salut Max,
>
> Le dimanche, 09 novembre2008 à 20:49 +0100, Maximilian Schleiss a
> écrit:
> > Le lundi 03 novembre 2008 à 23:02 +0100, Fabian Nowak a écrit :
> > > Hey all, hey Max,
> > >
> > Hey Fabian,
> >
> > > let's see how the patch applies this time or whether I will have
> > > to resend it as well ;)
> > >
> > it applied correctly except for the screenshooter plugin which has
> > seen an update lastly. You can send me an updated patch or wait for
> > me to update it for you (you might be faster at that though ;-p)
>
> Attached is an updated version that was created after updating from
> svn and running update-po.

Heya,

I actually sent an update for the screenshooter earlier today, as reply
to the announcement of Jérôme, and didn't realize you had already
updated that one.

I don't mind leaving you the primacy, however we seem to have
translated noticibly differently. I actually talked to Jérôme today
because I was unclear about three particular strings:

> msgid "Take a screenshot of the desktop"
> msgstr "Bildschirmfoto des Desktops erstellen"

I was confused with regard to the meaning of "desktop" here, due to the
ambiguity of the term. In this context it actually means "the whole
screen" or "the whole workspace". And Jérôme agreed that he would be
fine with the equivalent translation, yet he won't change any things
before the coming release.
Would you consider to either of the following:

"Bildschirmfoto des gesamten Bildschirms erstellen"

"Bildschirmfoto der gesamten Arbeitsoberfläche erstellen"

>  msgid "A tool to take screenshots of your desktop or of the active
> windows"
> -msgstr "Bildschirmfoto des aktuellen Fensters erstellen"
> +msgstr "Bildschirmfoto der Arbeitsfläche oder des aktuellen Fensters
> erstellen"

This is actually the same as the above, and I'm not sure why you
translated it differently. I would suggest using the same wording as
above, if you agree to change it.

>  msgid "Screenshot tool"
> -msgstr "Bildschirmfoto"
> +msgstr "Werkzeug für Bildschirmfotos"

I find this literal translation in German very akward. I would suggest
to go for "Bildschirmfoto erstellen". That's a very intuitve name for
the item and imho much better.

ciao,
    Christian