[Xfce-i18n] Upcoming 0.5.0 release of Xfce4 Dict

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Sun Nov 2 21:41:51 CET 2008

wrote:

>On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Enrico Tröger
><enrico.troeger at uvena.de>wrote:

>> wrote:

>> >A patch is attached :)
>> >(Note that two strings are untranslated because poedit was causing
>> >trouble)
>>
>> I guess the trouble was about the strings with plural forms. Most
>> probably you need to fix your .po file by adding/adjusting
>>
>> Check for a header line like
>>
>> "Plural-Forms: nplurals=2; plural=(n != 1);\n"
>>
>> this is the form for German, might be different for Dutch.
>>

>How do I know what form I should use for Dutch? (i.e. what does this
>do?)

Google, er, I mean your favourite search engine.

The plural forms are a way to easily translate strings like

"%d apples" where %d is a placeholder for the amount of apples, which
is only known at runtime, not when translating an app.
And in most languages there is a difference when %d gets 0, 1, or 2 and
greater.
E.g.
0 apples
1 apple
2 apples
3 appples

So, to be able to translate that properly for the case when there is '1
apple' and '2 apples', plural forms are used. That is, you translate
both cases and the code is picking the right one at runtime.
I can't tell you what's the corrent header line for Dutch but I guess
it's similar to the German one but to get sure you should use a search
engine and/or check the Dutch translation files of other
projects/apps/modules. IIRC the xfc4-mailwatch plugin uses plural
forms, too.

Regards,
Enrico