[Xfce-i18n] should console messages be translated?

Stavros Giannouris stavrosg at hellug.gr
Tue Jul 22 21:56:12 CEST 2008

Hello.

In short, too:
Στις 22-07-2008, ημέρα Τρι, και ώρα 13:37 -0600, ο/η David Mohr έγραψε:
>So in short form I would appreciate some feedback:
> 1. Would non-native speakers appreciate translated console messages
> for GUI programs?
A lot of them yes. Others don't care.

> 2. Would the translators be willing to do the extra work?
Yes (mostly).

Longer answer:
> But on the other hand, I would not want to place too much of a burden
> on the translators, who I'm sure are already busy translating all the
> GUI strings. In comparison to the amount of GUI strings, I would not
> expect translating the console messages to add too many new strings,
> but nonetheless it would be more work.
Marking them translatable will enable those that want to translate them to do so.
The rest who don't care or do not have enough time and prefer to focus on the GUI
will leave them untranslated.
Thus, I don't see why you should leave them untranslatable. You'll only continue to
recieve requests to mark then translatable ;^)

> Thanks!
>
> ~David

-Stavros