[Xfce-i18n] should console messages be translated?

David Mohr squisher at xfce.org
Tue Jul 22 21:37:41 CEST 2008

Hi,
we had a small discussion about translating console messages that I
would like to get some feedback from a broader range of people.

We had the request to have messages and warnings (not debug output) to
the console translated. From my point of view as the programmer, this
is not a big issue and if it would help someone, then it's easy to
make the strings translatable.

But on the other hand, I would not want to place too much of a burden
on the translators, who I'm sure are already busy translating all the
GUI strings. In comparison to the amount of GUI strings, I would not
expect translating the console messages to add too many new strings,
but nonetheless it would be more work.

So in short form I would appreciate some feedback:
1. Would non-native speakers appreciate translated console messages
for GUI programs?
2. Would the translators be willing to do the extra work?

Thanks!

~David