[Xfce-i18n] Translations in Rosetta

Rodrigo Coacci rcoacci at gmail.com
Tue May 16 12:54:41 CEST 2006

In fact I don't quite understand why should someone subscribe in two
diferent sites, since if you translate and send your contributions to
xfce-i18n, they are committed with the sources and *ubuntu packagers get
them automatically... For me that argument of having to subscribe for two
sites is quite pointless. Unless *ubuntu people likes to make their own
translations of things. But again its pointless since both translations will
be alike.

On 5/16/06, Vincent <imnotb at gmail.com> wrote:

> True, but AFAIK there are plans for Rosetta to become open source, though
> I have no idea how soon that would be. Therefore we might want to keep
> following the project ;-)
>

> On 16/05/06, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org> wrote:
> >
> > Álvaro Justen [Turicas] schreef:
> > > Hello,
> > > I use Ubuntu as my default distro and use XFCE as default window
> > manager.
> > > I'm in a project called Xubuntu, that is Ubuntu with XFCE as default
> > > window manager.
> > > I created a Brazilian Team to translate Xubuntu software, but it is
> > > very hard to translate XFCE, because it is in other server (and don't
> > > has Rosetta ;)
> > > XFCE (and it's packages) is the unique Xubuntu software that isn't in
> > > Rosetta, so users that want to translate Xubuntu have to subscribe in
> > > two different sites, and translations of XFCE aren't syncronized
> > > directly for [X]Ubuntu.
> > > I want to know if is possible to migrate XFCE translations to Rosetta.
> > > Rosetta is a site that manage .po files and allow users to quickly
> > > translate online, or download .po files, translate offline and them
> > > upload translated files.
> > > Rosetta is developed by Ubuntu Team and has many languages.
> > > I think that with Rosetta XFCE translation will be stimulated.
> > > More information: http://www.launchpad.net/rosetta
> > >
> > > *Excuse me by my so bad English :(
> >
> > We shouldn't be using non-open software to develop Xfce.
> >
> > <small rant>
> > I don't understand why Rosetta isn't open and AFAIK Canonical has never
> > given a reason, so I can only assume it is meant as a competitive
> > advantage. Xfce should not favor any distribution or operating system
> > over another, so as far as I'm concerned using Rosetta is out of the
> > question.
> > </small rant>
> >
> >        Jasper

> --