[Xfce-i18n] Some rules

Adriano Winter Bess awbess at gmail.com
Mon May 1 15:51:32 CEST 2006

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 03:18:47PM +0200, Pau Rul·lan Ferragut wrote:
>    hi all!

Hi,

> We should do it as we do it in mail, should not we?

In some sense yes, but the right way to do it is the following:

	1. Grab a package (e.g. xfce4-panel)
	2. Run `make update-po' _before_ starting translation
	3. Update your xx.po file with whatever editor you prefer
	4. Run `make update-po' _again_, it'll wrap lines approprietelly and you
	   don't even have to worry about it

> `Minimize the commits' means to try to...
> 	 a) do one commit per day/week/fortnight?
> 	 b) commit as few files as possible?

I guess neither one. What Daichi meant is that we should commit as many files as
possible in only one go (i.e. only one run of `svn commit' command). Suppose you
need to update 10 packages translations for Xfce. First translate all of them,
and then commit them all together:

$ svn commit {package1,package2,package3,...}/trunk/po/xx.po

> So, we write in the po/Changelog file our log in all the packages? I had
> half-forgotten this, sorry.

As far as I understand by previous posts on this list, Daichi updates po
ChangeLogs. The commiters responsibility is to leave a reasonable commit log
(empty logs are never reasonable). It would be good to hear from Daichi what he
thinks is the best practice about this. I use "Updated pt_BR translations."
when I have them updated and "Added pt_BR translations." when they are first
added to a package.

Please Daichi correct me if I have misunderstood anything you've said.

Another important thing Daichi mentioned was checking consistency of
translations before committing. For those who like to use Emacs to edit PO
files, I've posted long ago a patch for Emacs po-mode that helps the job:

http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce-i18n/2005-November/003491.html

Regards,
Adriano
--