daichi at xfce.org
Tue Mar 21 16:51:29 CET 2006
Probably you may know but we (Benedikt, me) had been talking
about a document translation process since before for
forthcoming 4.4 (or 4.6) release, in the beginning, I suggested
using `xml2po' (Python script, author Danilo Segan, licensed
under GPL) to translate them in PO file format, and adding a
different directory from `po'.
That brings this file (LINGUAS) to add since the number of
translated languages aren't always the same, in case there're
different files in between `po' and `po-doc'. So Benedikt has
modified the script to be suitable.
Now, how do you think about adopting this way to translate
documents in your package?
1. Easy to synchronize, you don't have to worry about
your daily documents updating. `make update-po' resolves,
even for screenshots, it's detected.
2. No need to add new language code at the toplevel
directory (a translators can add it to this file in the
3. Therefore, it may make easy for management in
permission-wise (but only Auke, Brian may know).
1. It costs the additional disk spaces due to the filesize
of PO files in general.
2. It needs the additional permission other than to `po'
for us (I'm not sure whether it's counted as negative, only
Auke, Brian may know).
3. Arabic, Hebrew translator wouldn't welcome this way to
4. Spamming, spamming against the commits ML, probably it's
time to separate xfce4-commits from xfce4-i18n-commits ML.
Oh well, the latter is longer than the former...
Language Codes: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm
Country Codes: http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/related/iso3166.txt
More information about the Xfce-i18n