[Xfce-i18n] testing the trunk

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sat Mar 18 12:39:39 CET 2006

Daichi Kawahata schreef:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:20:41 +0200
> Rimas Kudelis wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>
> Hi,
>
>> if I remember correctly, XFCE 4.4 is going to be released soon.
>> Hence (and because I got an email regarding it today), I thought
>> it's probably the right time to start translating XFCE trunk
>> branch to Lithuanian.
>
> I think so as well.
>
>> But here's my question - is there a simple and quick way to test
>> things I translate without messing up an already working system?
>> I mean, it would be nice to have something like a nightly XFLD CD
>> (is this project forgotten?) at least for testing purposes. As a
>> user of Ubuntu Dapper Drake (oops, I did it again!), I already
>> have a lot of unstable stuff in my computer, and I don't feel
>> like wanting to add even more mess to all this. Any ideas?
>
> It isn't dead simple but how about creating the new account for
> the trunk and install them to `/usr/local' or another? If you take
> this, you should put the required run-time library path in the
> ~/.profile or ~/.login like below
>
>   export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib or
>   setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib
>
> so as not to conflict with the already installed Xfce libraries.
> Of course, it needs full-install from scratch.

Usually, if you want to do this it is better to not install to a system
location like /usr or /usr/local, but rather to something like
/opt/xfce4-svn .

I have something like this in my bash settings:

XFCEDIR=/opt/xfce4-svn

PATH=$XFCEDIR/bin:$XFCEDIR/sbin:$PATH
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$XFCEDIR/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$XFCEDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

export PATH PKG_CONFIG_PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH

	Jasper