[Xfce-i18n] Call for help: DocBook file translation

Daichi Kawahata daichi at xfce.org
Sun Jan 22 04:35:46 CET 2006

So time has come?

I have an idea regarding the documents translation of forthcoming
4.4. At first, please look POT files in the attached tarball,
they're created by using xml2po (Python script from gnome-doc-utils*),
then ./auogen.sh (as commented, replace a dummy LANG with yours).

Now you have PO files, can translate them with your editor, will
submit translated files to this list and a supervisor would convert
them to the DocBook formatted XML file (and commit). Of course an
original file must be updated by the authors but if they're up2dated,
a synchronization will be much easier than doing a check them
manually.

As for the documents, there's an another topic started by Andrew:

  http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce/2006-January/016196.html

in which, he was suggesting Wiki style documents for the end user,
especially new-comer and Brian pointed out a possibility of
redundant work and back-port from the Wiki, a document they were
assuming may be the document should be located in the:

  xfce-utils/doc/xfce4-user-guide/C/xfce4-user-guide.xml

If there could be a command wiki2xml (with docbook style sheet),
the flow-chart below would work for us non-English users,

  wiki2xml -> xml2po -> translation -> xml2po -p -> done.

Having said that however, it's nothing but a random thought, so
question is what an exact mechanism/process should/would we adopt?
or what an exact module should we provide? Or rather, do you want
to translate provided DocBook files at all?

* KDE provides similar tool called "poxml" (in kdesdk) as well,
which is what I have actually been trying to use these days...

Daichi

Language Codes: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm
Country Codes: http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/related/iso3166.txt