[Xfce-i18n] de_DE for xfdesktop trunk

Fabian Nowak timystery at arcor.de
Fri Jan 6 13:13:47 CET 2006

Hi all,

I was contacted by a de_DE user (Lars Volker) who found out that some
changes to xfdesktop had occurred and thus I have updated the
translations.

Besides, though being translated and in the .desktop file, the
description for the xfce-panel menu plugin is in English, while the name
is German - to whom is it to fix this? Translators? Brian? Daichi?

See attached file for the new translation. It is possible that Lars will
continue translating svn trunk to German.

One further question: In some languages like French, Spanish, German
there is another form of "you" for persons you don't know or who are
business contacts or much older, in short, to whom you are to show
respect. In German, you use "Sie" both for the singular and plural form
of the normal "Du" (you), in Spanish you have "usted" for singular,
"ustedes" for plural form, in French it's like in German ("vous"
sing./pl.). Now, what way should "you" be translated? Into the
respectful form "Sie", "Usted", "Vous" or better into "Du", "tú", "tu"?

I realize that some translators chose the respectful way and others
prefer the more personal way. I'd suggest the personal way.

Greetings, Fabian