[Xfce-i18n] daily translations builds ?

Stavros Giannouris stavrosg2002 at freemail.gr
Sun Apr 30 18:55:18 CEST 2006

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:37:21 +0000
"piotr maliński" <riklaunim at gmail.com> wrote:

> There can be separate packages for translations like KDE has ->
> kde-i18n. If we build packages with *mo translations files for each
> language distro maintainers could convert them to their linux/unix
> packages easily. They would just overwrite/update existing
> translations.

This is how KDE does it, but they also bundle many programs in a
single "package" or "module" so they can get away with seperating the
i18n stuff. This method is not what Xfce does, and certainly cannot be
followed.

As it was pointed, ubuntu does it with some main packages , but only
for the version they ship, and you have to use rosetta if you want to
update the translations.

So, currently, as most packaging systems stand, seperating translations
from the program cannot be done easily or in a clean way.

Stavros Giannouris                          Jabber: stavrosg at jabber.org

"Hello. I'm a signature virus.
Just copy me to your signature  to help me spread"