[Xfce-i18n] xfcalendar: please use Q_() sometimes

Andras Mohari mayday at mailpont.hu
Sun Apr 30 10:39:43 CEST 2006

On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 12:32:16PM +0900, Daichi Kawahata wrote:
> So far, it's only used for the word has multiple meanings
> in the different places, therefore, should be separated to
> translate. Basically, a context should be read by the
> translators themselves in the running applications.
>
> Probably you may have the reason not to compile the application,
> but please re-consider that if you want to contribute the better
> translations to Hungarian users.

I did compile and try it, so I know where and how they are used. I wrote
because those short strings seem to be a bit "fragile". You might one
day use any of them in a different context *without* noticing that they
should not be the same in other languages.

OK, that's not the case now, so maybe I shouldn't have come up with this.
I'm sorry about that. But you know Murphy: If anything can go wrong...
;-) (Looks like it always troubles me when I see short msgids in PO
files. Sometimes I'm not very fond of the idea to use messages as IDs.)

> If you're going to translate the given strings without that,
> it's hard to know what the strings mean at any rate and an
> inserting the well-thought context string to make sense isn't
> that easy. Or rather it should be done as a comment `/**/' in
> xgettext with `--add-comments=TRANSLATORS' but I don't know
> how to use that with intltool.

(I don't think you need a well-thought context string, just something to
make msgids unique. For example, "time|Free", "time|Busy",
"appointment|Start", "appointment|End" etc. But again, they are still
unique now as they are, I have to admit.)

Thanks for you answer,
--
Andras Mohari