[Xfce-i18n] po/ChangeLog

Daichi Kawahata daichi at xfce.org
Sat Oct 22 01:25:12 CEST 2005

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:34:32 -0700
Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> > I'm now cleaning up ChangeLog files in po directories with script
> > (http://ch.tudelft.nl/~arthur/svn2cl/), so you don't have to update
> > these files without Benedikt's package; libexo, terminal, thunar,
> > and please honor xfmedia/trunk/po/COMMITTERS_READ_THIS from Brian.
>
> Might I suggest something...  Xfce SVN is growing with a bunch of
> different packages, some of which have different maintainers and have
> different requirements about committing to their trees.  Hell, even
> between my three trees, I have different things I care about.

Did you mind my branch/tag unification in xfmedia/trunk/po/ChangeLog?
What I've been concerned before modifying the file was exact that,
my intention trimming a ChangeLog (but hasn't any loss) is for end-user
who'll get the packages from their distributor, in which the given
path `xfmedia/trunk', `xfmedia/branches/xfmedia_0_9' for each files
won't make sense anymore after `make dist'.

Also, I was still not sure how they should be treated in between top
level ChangeLog and po/ChangeLog (sometimes, they have duplicate entries).

> What I'm suggesting is a "COMMITTING" file in the root of each module.

Well, do you mean xfmedia/trunk/COMMITTING, xfmedia/branches/xfmedia_0_9/
COMMITTING for example?

> It need not be long (preferably it's no more than a couple short
> paragraphs and/or a bulletted list), and should contain any requirements
> for committing to that module.

Probably, if there's a certain guidance for that, we can get more
descriptive logs, as for the beautiful way of logging, you or Benedikt
can play a certain role, can't you?

> I don't want to scare translators away by creating a bunch of different
> requirements, but at the same time, module maintainers need to feel ok
> about other people committing to their trees.

Let me say, filename `COMMITTERS_READ_THIS' has already enough impact as
well as `YES_I_AM_BRIAN'. Well, what did you mean with `module'? If you
considered that as entire tree (from top to the bottom), probably it's
me you'd talk with, in other words, translators are basically nothing to
do with module, only the SVN commit-able translators can access
MODULE_ROOT/configure.ac(in.in) and MODULE_ROOT/po/.

> So, if you're a module maintainer and don't give a damn (kinda like I
> feel about xfdesktop), feel free to not bother.  Otherwise, if this is
> important to you (like I feel about xfmedia), what do people think?  If
> this is a good idea, we can add this to the translation committers
> guidelines as well.

I'd agree if we could have such guidance at the first place, I was bit
tired of unfriendly po/ChangeLog (since, having look for the translators
to create the decent credits, there were many obstacles in front of me).

Daichi

Language Codes: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm
Country Codes: http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/related/iso3166.txt