[Xfce-i18n] [RFC] Translation guidance in Xfce

Daichi Kawahata daichi at xfce.org
Sat Oct 8 11:18:50 CEST 2005

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 02:53:00 +0300
Stavros Giannouris wrote:

> Greetings!

Hi!

> I have some comments & additions:

Thanks, always welcomed.

> > 2. Get the PO files from the SVN repository
> > TODO:
> >
> >     o How does translator get whole-in-one module?
>
> For translators with commit rights, there are scripts that checkout
> and update the xfce repository at
> http://xfce.org/~/pollux/for_translators/
>
> (NOTE : I do not use, them, but if I remember right, they can use
> some polishing, and an anonymous version as well. I will look into
> it in the weekend)

Yes, he wrote useful scripts for that purpose, but some structure
changes in current repository requires it updated like I've attached.

> > 3. Get the editor for PO file editing
> > ======================================
> >
> > [...]
> >     o PO mode - Major mode for GNU gettext PO files.
> >       http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/ manual/html_node/gettext_10.html
>
> That's PO mode _for emacs_. Took me a while to figure that out.
> Also, there is an unintentional space in the url. :)

Right, by the way, I'm not sure which one is more popular among us,
considering that pure Xfce user is impossible to use or never uses
GNOME/KDE dependent applications, Vim or poEdit will be the decent
editor? As for me, I'm using Emacs though (due to lack of `%z'
support in my strftime() function, vim.po puts `%z' as-is at the
header).

> > NOTE: Please let me (daichi at xfce.org) know if you know something
> > else.
>
> I *think* I've stumbled upon one more recently.

> > TODO:
> >
> >     o Should I describe brief usage for each applications?
>
> I don't think so - This could be done separately though - if at
> all.

I thought so, probably it's a hurdle a new translator should climb
over.

> > To update the PO files to reflect any changes to translatable
> > strings in the source files simply update your files from SVN
> > and run
> >
> >     $ cd po
> >     $ make update-po
>
> This one requires ./autogen or ./configure is run in the module's
> directory first. I usually copy the entire directory somewhere else
> (like in ~/temp) and do that there so the "full" copy stays clean.

Yeah, that's my bothering, it's no longer for translator, rather
daily SVN snapshot builder isn't it? If I could keep updating PO
files, it wouldn't need for the ordinary translators, hm, not sure...

> > 12. Checking your translations in the actual situation
>
> For SVN, the relevant module should be built and installed. This
> is only for the brave and those that know what to do, and
> instructions and info are to be found elsewhere.

> For the 4.2 branch, and assuming that the translator has this
> installed, it is a matter of running
>
> $ msgfmt -o <langcode>.gmo <langcode>.po
> # cp <langcode>.gmo <xfce-prefix>/share/locale/<langcode/LC_MESSAGES/module.gmo
>
> and restarting the app.

I just imagined users don't have permission to system-wide install,
they require --prefix=/home --with-locales-dir=/home/share/locale,
but it's completely another story.

I'll update later, the other translators might tell us their tip ;)

Daichi

Language Codes: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm
Country Codes: http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/related/iso3166.txt