[Xfce-i18n] [RFC] Translation guidance in Xfce

Stavros Giannouris stavrosg2002 at freemail.gr
Sat Oct 8 01:53:00 CEST 2005

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 06:13:17 +0900
Daichi Kawahata <daichi at xfce.org> wrote:

> Next version comes here,
>
> Although I'd like to keep it simple, my literary talent didn't
> allow that. Anyway, I wrote them down with some illustrations.

Greetings!
I have some comments & additions:

> 2. Get the PO files from the SVN repository
> TODO:
>
>     o How does translator get whole-in-one module?
For translators with commit rights, there are scripts that checkout and
update the xfce repository at http://xfce.org/~/pollux/for_translators/

(NOTE : I do not use, them, but if I remember right, they can use some
polishing, and an anonymous version as well. I will look into it in the
weekend)

> 3. Get the editor for PO file editing
> ======================================
>
> [...]
>     o PO mode - Major mode for GNU gettext PO files.
>       http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/ manual/html_node/gettext_10.html
That's PO mode _for emacs_. Took me a while to figure that out.
Also, there is an unintentional space in the url. :)

> NOTE: Please let me (daichi at xfce.org) know if you know something else.

I *think* I've stumbled upon one more recently.

> TODO:
>
>     o Should I describe brief usage for each applications?
I don't think so - This could be done seperately though - if at all.

> 9. Stay tuned! (it requires full source)
>
> The messages may be changed from release to release and with growing
> functionality there will be more messages that should be translated.
> Thus, translation isn't something static. Every few month there will
> be a few more sentences to be translated.
>
> To update the PO files to reflect any changes to translatable strings
> in the source files simply update your files from SVN and run
>
>     $ cd po
>     $ make update-po
This one requires ./autogen or ./configure is run in the module's directory first.
I ususally copy the entire directory somewhere else (like in ~/temp) and do that
there so the "full" copy stays clean.

> 12. Checking your translations in the actual situation

For SVN, the relevant module should be built and installed. This is only for the brave and
those that know what to do, and instructions and info are to be found elsewhere.

For the 4.2 branch, and assuming that the translator has this installed, it is a matter
of running
$ msgfmt -o <langcode>.gmo <langcode>.po
# cp <langcode>.gmo <xfce-prefix>/share/locale/<langcode/LC_MESSAGES/module.gmo
amd restarting the app.
Stavros Giannouris                          Jabber: stavrosg at jabber.org

"Hello. I'm a signature virus.
Just copy me to your signature  to help me spread"