[Xfce-i18n] Translating Panel and grammar difficulties

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sun Nov 27 20:56:32 CET 2005

Jasper Huijsmans schreef:
> Alexander Toresson schreef:
>> On 11/26/05, Stavros Giannouris <stavrosg2002 at freemail.gr> wrote:
>>> Hello Jasper & list;
>>>         I don't know if you read xfce-i18n, but I'm CC-ing you to grab
>>> your attention anyway ;-).
>>> I have a problem with the Greek translation, which may affect some
>>> other languages, too.
>>> In the attached picture, it is the right click menu you get on the
>>> seperator, and the seperator properties dialog translated. I've circled
>>> "Seperator", or "Διαχωριστικό" in Greek.
>>> The problem is that while this form is correct for the dialog box, it
>>> is grammatically wrong as it is in the right click menu.
>>> Instead, the menu should have been "Ιδιότητες Διαχωριστικού"

[...]

> Hi Stavros, Alexander,
>
> I read all xfce lists, except when I'm moving to a new house ;-) If
> anyone send me something in the last three weeks, please send it again,
> because I probably missed it.
>
> Back to the problem at hand, it is possible to use a special gettext
> feature to distinguish between two different uses of the same English
> text. I will have to look it up again, but it works something like this:
> instead of using _("text"), I add a modifier Q_("menu|text"). Then in
> the translation you can use msgstr "menu|translation" and gettext will
> do the right thing.
>
> I think I already used it somewhere else, but I'm not 100% sure. You
> will have to tell me about these issues of course, because I have no way
> of knowing beforehand.
>
> I'll have a look at this one.

Hmm, it's more complicated than I thought :(

The panel uses the name of the plugin in the sentence '<name>
Properties'. There is currently no way of letting the plugin know the
panel needs a different form. I'm not sure how to handle this properly.

Is there a way for you to rewrite '%s Properties' in a way that would
make the plugin title the correct form?

Anybody have a suggestion about how to solve this?

	Jasper