[Xfce-i18n] Translating Panel and grammar difficulties

Stavros Giannouris stavrosg2002 at freemail.gr
Sat Nov 26 22:28:00 CET 2005

Hello Jasper & list;
	I don't know if you read xfce-i18n, but I'm CC-ing you to grab
your attention anyway ;-).
I have a problem with the Greek translation, which may affect some
other languages, too.
In the attached picture, it is the right click menu you get on the
seperator, and the seperator properties dialog translated. I've circled
"Seperator", or "Διαχωριστικό" in Greek.
The problem is that while this form is correct for the dialog box, it
is grammatically wrong as it is in the right click menu.
Instead, the menu should have been "Ιδιότητες Διαχωριστικού"

The same applies to almost all panel items, like launchers, pager,
etc.
Is there any other translator facing a similar problem?

The first workaround I can think of is to give each menu entry its own
string in the .pot file, so people can translate it correctly instead
of the "%s Properties" one-for-all that there is now.
Can anyone else think of a better way?

Stavros Giannouris                          Jabber: stavrosg at jabber.org

"Hello. I'm a signature virus.
Just copy me to your signature  to help me spread"

http://www.freemail.gr - δωρεάν υπηρεσία ηλεκτρονικού ταχυδρομείου.