[Xfce-i18n] [Fwd: [Thunar-dev] partial translation]

Daichi Kawahata daichi at xfce.org
Wed Dec 21 16:06:17 CET 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:49:19 +0100
Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> Daichi Kawahata wrote:
>
> > Benedikt, can I add Thunar.pot file once again? or were there
> > any reasons to remove POT file?
>
> I removed it, as it's auto-generated and tends to change often.
> You can readd it, sure. On the other hand how about uploading
> .pot files regularly to the i18n website, so new translators can
> grab them easily, and we don't have to keep them up2date in the
> repository?

That is what I've been wondering in the first place. To make long
story short, compiling from source must be the best way to translate,
yes even in translation.

Using separated module (like trunk-po, 4.2-po or po only checkouts)
is only possible when target file is already imported and a
translator does know how the strings are appeared in an actual
situations, in addition, PO file has to be updated by me/other
translators have access permission or you (developers).

Moreover, to create a initial PO file, it requires POT file albeit
that separated module can't generate it due to lack of full-build
tree, that's the reason I has re-imported that file. However even
if POT file exists in the module, msginit (from GNU gettext) looks
generated configure file (via /usr/lib/gettext/project-id) to
create that file and I'd strongly recommend using msginit,
believe modern Linux, *BSD system have decent GNU gettext (I'm
not sure about Solaris which has own gettext).

Having said that, if you (translator) decided to start translation
under the heavy development field, you're no longer just only
translator, at least you'll have to install Autotools, aux. stuffs.

If you (translator) are translating a file from those separated
modules (trunk-po, 4.2-po, checkouts po directory only), how do
you think about his suggestions? I might know stepping into the
full-build process can be certain burden if translating is only
your interests.

Daichi

Language Codes: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm
Country Codes: http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/related/iso3166.txt