[Xfce-i18n] Desktop files

Peeter Vois peeter.vois at proekspert.ee
Tue Dec 14 10:31:05 CET 2004

Maybe it is because I have no write permission in repository and I am
using anonymous access.

I am avare of the remove changes issues. The problem is that  merging
needs 3 files common original, your file and mine file and I do not know
the version of common original file because our repository is different
from XFCE repository. So, merging can not be used. What I can do is that
I create diff from your file -> mine file and then look it through and
modify it to ensure that it will not remove your changes. Then I send
the diff file (which now has the record of the versions in the XFCE
repository) to you and you will place the translations into CVS. Our
team members including me do not have permission to commit the files
into XFCE repositpry. It would be easier when we work directly in XFCE
repository but then you will have less control over repository.

Peeter

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> that sounds like a server-side issue.  auke, could you look into this
> (see error in quote below)?
>
> at any rate, the procedure you outlined below won't work in the case
> that the file in *our* CVS has been updated since you last checked it
> out.  in that case your diff file will include changes that *remove*
> any translations added since you checked it out.  what you actually
> want to do is first check out the file from *our* CVS, update it, send
> that file to the list, then check that into *your* CVS.  *never*
> update *before* copying your own file in.  you need to copy your file
> in and *then* update, so any changes to *our* CVS get merged into your
> copy.  otherwise, as i said, you may accidentally create a patch that
> reverts stuff from our repository.
>
>    -brian
>
> Peeter Vois wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I did as follows:
>>
>> 1) Checked out the current version from XFCE:
>> cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs at cvs.xfce.org:/cvsroot/xfce -z3 co translations
>>
>> 2) Copied our translated files into proper directories
>>
>> 3) cd translations
>>
>> 4) cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs at cvs.xfce.org:/cvsroot/xfce diff -u
>>
>> And I got errors like this:
>> ? xfce4/libxfcegui4/po/et.po
>> ? xfce4/xfce4-appfinder/po/et.po
>> cvs diff: Diffing .
>> cvs diff: failed to create lock directory for
>> `/cvsroot/xfce/CVSROOT/Emptydir'
>> (/cvsroot/xfce/CVSROOT/Emptydir/#cvs.lock): Permission denied
>> cvs diff: failed to obtain dir lock in repository
>> `/cvsroot/xfce/CVSROOT/Emptydir'
>> cvs [diff aborted]: read lock failed - giving up
>>
>> I was trying to find from the manual page how to disable the lock. I
>> was not successful.
>>
>> Peeter
>>

>> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

>>> i'm not sure why you need your own repository, though i can see why
>>> it might be useful.  regardless, you'll need to sync at least the
>>> ,desktop files with current xfce CVS, and submit a diff against
>>> that.  i'm not sure if there's a good automated way of doing that,
>>> however.  perhaps you could write a script to:
>>> 1) check the .desktop file out of your private tree
>>> 2) copy it to the xfce public tree in the proper location
>>> 3) run cvs update to merge changes from the public tree
>>> 4) run cvs diff to get a diff against the official file
>>>
>>> i'm not sure how effective that would be.  you may have to do some
>>> manual merging sometimes.  since the .desktop file translation needs
>>> are only 2-3 lines per file, it may be easiest to either not keep
>>> them in your private repository, or always fetch the public version
>>> to translate, and then update your private tree after doing that.
>>> it shouldn't really be much of a big deal; i wouldn't expect the
>>> english portion of the .desktop files to change at all from this
>>> point on.  (go ahead, somebody change theirs just to prove me wrong
>>> ^_~.)
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> brian