[Xfce-i18n] First no_NB translations (from me)

Dwayne Bailey dwayne at translate.org.za
Thu Dec 9 12:45:52 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 17:39 +0200, Metin Amiroff wrote:
> Dwayne Bailey wrote:
> > Would it not be easier to simply make the POT files in UTF8?
>
> Well, I am not that great in this field, but I recall that UTF-8 was not
> being used some years ago, say in gtk1 apps. Still there are many
> translators using non utf-8 encoded po files for gtk2 apps, and for
> example in Gnome camp, they all get reported as i18n bugs.

msgconv is good for sorting that out.

> Anyways, the pot file can be encoded in utf-8, but it can still lack
> utf-8 definition in header line, which will in the end require user
> input. Here's a quote from gettext manual:

All the UTF-8 pots I work with have the header already defined.  In fact
if you have UTF-8 chars and an undefined header some msg* commands
complain but as soon as you correct the CHARSET then all works fine.

I'm sure its an xgettext thing to define the output CHARSET.

--
Dwayne Bailey <dwayne at translate.org.za>
Translate.org.za