[Xfce-i18n] First no_NB translations (from me)

Metin Amiroff metin at karegen.com
Wed Dec 8 16:39:51 CET 2004

Dwayne Bailey wrote:
> Would it not be easier to simply make the POT files in UTF8?

Well, I am not that great in this field, but I recall that UTF-8 was not
being used some years ago, say in gtk1 apps. Still there are many
translators using non utf-8 encoded po files for gtk2 apps, and for
example in Gnome camp, they all get reported as i18n bugs.

Anyways, the pot file can be encoded in utf-8, but it can still lack
utf-8 definition in header line, which will in the end require user
input. Here's a quote from gettext manual:

-
When single quote characters or double quote characters are used in
translations for your language, and your locale's encoding is one of the
ISO-8859-* charsets, it is best if you create your PO files in UTF-8
encoding, instead of your locale's encoding. [1]
-

Nowadays, nearly every translation tool out there (including emacs in
gettext mode, but not Xemacs) can handle utf-8 very well, and they
pretty much default to using that.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/gettext_35.html

Cheers,
Metin