Idea about extended menus

Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov d726f6e at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Mar 29 19:30:28 CET 2002

Hi,

CDE-like icon box? That could be a solution. Like I used to say: there
is nothing wrong with keeping XFCE as close to CDE as possible, because
CDE is probably the best desktop environment ever (in terms of usability).

BTW, as far as I know CDE simply starts dtfile to show the icon box,
which Joe was talking about. So, maybe that shouldn't be a feature of
panel, but rather xftree. For example, for KDE/GNOME menus all we have
to do is to have xtree open the /usr/share/apps dir (or whatever it
is, I don't have KDE/GNOME). Of course, xftree should uderstand how to
display *.desktop files. Edscott, what do you think?

And back to the sub-menus. Though I still think that having 80 apps in the
panel menus is not sane (this is definitely not a typical number of
frequently used apps), I can't say that I hate the concept of (somehow)
nested menus. Actually I hate the idea of extra menus appearing of the
screen. But sub-menus which won't take extra space may be good. Something
like this:

first level:         when you click on <submenu link>:
                     (this is the same menu with different items)
                          +--------------+
 +--------------+         | * subitem 3  | click
 | *  item 3    |  click  !<submenu link>! -----> (and so on...)
 |<submenu link>|  -----> | * subitem 2  |
 | *  item 2    |         | * subitem 1  |
 | *  item 1    |  <----- |<"back" link> |
-----/\-----------  click -----/\-------------
   !  i ! XFCE Panel         !  i ! XFCE Panel

I can try to prepare some "proof of the concept" code...

What do you think?

--
It's me -- Delta at SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

"I don't advise it, citizen, mn-e-eh... I don't advise it. You'll be eaten."