Anybody interested in joining xfwm 4 devel ?

Jasper Huijsmans j.b.huijsmans at hetnet.nl
Fri Mar 22 11:33:35 CET 2002

Right, I have been thinking a bit about how things could work (in general
terms, no implementation).

XFwm
* window management
* session management
* XSETTINGS manager
* xfwm/xfce settings manager (applying styles to everything)
* Completely work with extended window manager hints

Configuration
* xfstylemgr works on xml file(s)
* notification of changes through x client messages on root or on invisible
xfwm window (like xsettings)
* xfwm applies changes to gtkrc file / xresources / etc.
* libxfsettings provides functions for reading and writing configuration
files as well as notification

Modules
* many modules can use window manager hints: pagers, taskbars, icon boxes,
sound module.
* panel can communicate through xclient messages ("_XFWM_SHUTDOWN",
"_XFWM_RESTART", ...)

Convenience library (libxfce-common)
* executing commands (through g_spawn_* I think)
* file open/save dialog
* other dialogs ?
* image handling. Since GTK2 uses gdk-pixbuf already for it's icons, it
would make sense to use it exclusively,
   but there may be problems connected to it (I remember Alan saying
something about that).

Panel
* how about making the buttons either a 'normal button' or an applet
(through gtk_plug perhaps), so that you can
   choose between running a command or a number of plugins: clock,
calendar, mailcheck, trashcan, etc. CDE
   has something like this, doesn't it?

These are just some thoughts I had. This is as always without being
hindered by any real knowledge on the subject ;-)

For examples of working with the window manager hints we could look at
metacity (window manager based on GTK2) - this also uses glib mainloop
functionality that might be interesting - and libwnck from GNOME.

Does this make sense at all?

         Jasper