Various Xftree problems

Joakim Andreasson joakim.andreasson at gmx.net
Thu Mar 21 20:54:29 CET 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:26:59 -0600
the words scribbled by Edscott Wilson García <edscott at imp.mx> were as follows:

> On Mié 20 Mar 2002 11:39, Joakim Andreasson wrote:
> > Hi Edscott and others,
> >
> > With my recently outchecked cvs version of Xftree, there are a few
> > problems.
> >
> > 1) When I try to copy or move a file ore a bunch of files by dragging
> > it/them between two Xftree windows, it opens an xterm and runs the command
> > "ssh/scp" on the files. Even if it would work, this seems unnessesary, but
> > no files are either copied or moved. (I guess because I don't run sshd.)
>
> This must be a bug. The behaviour you describe should only happen when the
> xftree windows are running on different hosts (and on the same display, of
> course). When xftree windows are on the same host, the behaviour should be as
> usual. Before the scp/rsync addition, what would happen with DnD between
> xftree on different hosts was that it would look for the remote files on the
> wrong host and end up with a "file not found". Pleas do a "xprop" on both
> xftree windows where you have the problem and send the results to the list so
> we can check where the bug is coming from.

Ok, here is the xprop data.
Both windows come from the same instance of Xftree.

Window 1:
WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
		window state: Normal
		icon window: 0x800090
XdndAware(ATOM) = ARC
_MOTIF_DRAG_RECEIVER_INFO(_MOTIF_DRAG_RECEIVER_INFO) = 0x6c, 0x0, 0x5, 0xbf, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0xc, 0x8, 0x10, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0
WM_COMMAND(STRING) = { "xftree", "-h", "localhost.localdomain", "/home/j" }
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "xftree", "Xftree"
WM_LOCALE_NAME(STRING) = "sv_SE"
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "bethmoora"
WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) = "//localhost.localdomain/home/j"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "//localhost.localdomain/home/j"
WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
		Client accepts input or input focus: True
		Initial state is Normal State.
		bitmap id # to use for icon: 0x1400150
		bitmap id # of mask for icon: 0x1400152
		window id # of group leader: 0x1400001
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
		program specified minimum size: 426 by 142
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW, WM_TAKE_FOCUS

Window 2:
WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
		window state: Normal
		icon window: 0x0
XdndAware(ATOM) = ARC
_MOTIF_DRAG_RECEIVER_INFO(_MOTIF_DRAG_RECEIVER_INFO) = 0x6c, 0x0, 0x5, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x10, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0
WM_COMMAND(STRING) = { "xftree", "-h", "localhost.localdomain", "/home/j/tmp" }
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "xftree", "Xftree"
WM_LOCALE_NAME(STRING) = "sv_SE"
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "bethmoora"
WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) = "//localhost.localdomain/home/j/tmp"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "//localhost.localdomain/home/j/tmp"
WM_WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
		window state: Normal
		icon window: 0x0
XdndAware(ATOM) = ARC
_MOTIF_DRAG_RECEIVER_INFO(_MOTIF_DRAG_RECEIVER_INFO) = 0x6c, 0x0, 0x5, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x10, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0
WM_COMMAND(STRING) = { "xftree", "-h", "localhost.localdomain", "/home/j/tmp" }
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "xftree", "Xftree"
WM_LOCALE_NAME(STRING) = "sv_SE"
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "bethmoora"
WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) = "//localhost.localdomain/home/j/tmp"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "//localhost.localdomain/home/j/tmp"
WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
		Client accepts input or input focus: True
		Initial state is Normal State.
		bitmap id # to use for icon: 0x1400297
		bitmap id # of mask for icon: 0x1400299
		window id # of group leader: 0x1400001
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
		program specified minimum size: 426 by 142
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW, WM_TAKE_FOCUS
HINTS(WM_HINTS):
		Client accepts input or input focus: True
		Initial state is Normal State.
		bitmap id # to use for icon: 0x1400297
		bitmap id # of mask for icon: 0x1400299
		window id # of group leader: 0x1400001
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
		program specified minimum size: 426 by 142
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW, WM_TAKE_FOCUS

> > 2) If I try to delete a file with a long name with lots of spaces and other
> > uncommon letters in the name, Xftree crashes. This has been the case fore
> > some time now.
>
> Give us an example filename and it will be fixed. I've done a lot of fixing of
> similar problems in the code (where original code uses a "max-length" for
> filenames instead of just assigning what is necesary) but I have missed
> several. The example you provide will give me something to test with.

After som experimenting (the original files that made Xftree crash are deleted, since at least that was done befor the crashes) I found that it really doesn't matter what characters there are in the filename, only how long it is. A length of 112 characters works, 113 makes Xftree crash.

> > 3) Before 1) occured Xftree always crashed when I tried to copy a directory
> > from a tarfile (Now problem 1) applies to this, too). I you're not not
> > supposed to be able to do that, maybe the ability to try should be removed
> > as well.
>
> It was never considered. If it is not difficult it would be a good option,
> otherwise a dialog explaining that it cannot be done is better than a crash.
>

> > 4) Not really a problem, I'm just curious. What's with the
> > "//loclhost/localdomain" in the Xftree title bar? Can I open an Xftree on
> > other hosts as well or is this planned (ftp would be cool)? Right now it
> > seems it only makes the titlebar less readable, and my hostname isn't
> > localhost.localdomain anyway.
>
> Aha. Seems this is where the bug (#1) is at. Your box is not configured
> properly with a hostname and domainname and is using the default values of
> "localhost" and "localdomain". I had not tested this configuration. And yes,
> you can now open xftree on different hosts, by means of network conection.
> Once you have two xftrees on different hosts, you can drag and drop between
> them and it will copy by scp or rsync --rsh=ssh. If you dont want to provide
> a password for every DnD element, you can configure ssh for host-based
> authentication and everything works real nicely, not available on any other
> filemanager AFAIK. How do you open xftree on different hosts? (say your PC
> and your laptop conected by a 10Mb Ethernet link, host names are laptop and
> PC, but could be ip addresses):
>
> [laptop]$xhost +PC
>
> [PC]$export DISPLAY=laptop:0.0
> [PC]$xftree
>
> This will open a xftree from PC on the laptop display. It's real old stuff in
> X, pretty neat, and something wind*ws OS is lightyears away from achieving.
> It allows you to run several boxes from a single screen.

Looks neat, too bad I don't have a LAN. I checked my network configuration and got Xftree working as intended. Thanks.