gtk2 rpms

Jasper Huijsmans j.b.huijsmans at hetnet.nl
Thu Mar 21 17:03:24 CET 2002

At 04:09 PM 3/21/02, you wrote:

>I see that gtk2.0 has finally been released and rpms for redhat systems are
>available at rawhide.redhat.com (and mirrored at
>http://linux.imp.mx/pub/software/linux/redhat/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/). I
>suppose that means nothing should be holding xfce4 back, except for porting
>business.

Well, that and deciding on a communication protocol / API for interaction
with xfwm.

I think it is important to have good configuration tools. For that we need
2 things:
1) settings are stored in one place only (not for xfwm and xfce separately)
2) a method of notification that something changed, probably through xfwm.
We could use a xprop mechanism sending an XFWM_CONFIG_CHANGED message to
the root window or something. Maybe we could have a small wrapper library
that modules could use, which implements reading and writing configuration
files.

Ideally all configuration should be done graphically (or be possible to do
graphically).
I don't know how difficult it would be to translate current config file
format to xml and whether we want to keep the current pipe communication
between xfwm and modules.

Just some loose thoughts on the subject,
         Jasper