new config.in stuff for xfce

Edscott Wilson García edscott at imp.mx
Mon Apr 1 16:48:40 CEST 2002

On Lun 01 Abr 2002 04:35, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> BTW, wouldn't it be a good time to remove all autogenerated files from
> CVS (Makefile.in files mostly I guess).

Yes, I agree with you.

> I also have a question about xpm files. When using
> gdk_pixbuf_new_from_xpm_data I get a warning for an incompatible
> pointer type. This disappears when I change the type to a static const
> char * []. Should I change this or am I doing something wrong?

Maybe both. I had trouble with the same and it seems that (const char *) has a
different data alignment than a (char *). Which means that even if you cast
it as a (const char *), if you actually use it as a (char *) for modifying
the contents (easy way to toggle colors, for example), gdkpixbuf will croak
when you try to make a pixmap with it. I suppose that if you do not modify
the xpm structure, then the compiler treats it as a (const char *) and
therefore the cast works ok.

If you modify a xpm, then the easy way (hack) to make it work for a pixmap
creation is to write it back to disk and read it again. This aligns the data
the way a (const char*) proper. There should be another way but I ran out of
my timelimit while looking for the way to align as (const char *), which
might not even be portable.

Edscott

> Wow, it's good to be back with all the exciting things hapening with
> xfce4.

The ldopen stuff is a most necesary. By using it nautilus has shrunk to twice
the size of xftree and konqueror 2.99rc3 is only 3260 bytes (probably
overkill, though).