[Xfce-apps] proposition of framework

samuel verstraete samuel.verstraete at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 20:06:30 CET 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:10:05 +0100, Auke Kok <sofar at lunar-linux.org> wrote:
> masse nicolas wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >something also imporant is the way repositories will
> >be managed. Do we have to use a ftp server, will there
> >be a cvs server available (is it faisaible?), how must
> >develloppers upload there files?
> >

> The maintainer(s) of the site will get full access (ssh). However, this
> is restricted to the absolute minimum number of people. Other people can
> register on the website and upload files if needed. The server is http
> only, so no ftp.
>
> All projects that wish to use the subversion server (we're still on CVS
> but moving to SVN at the moment) can migrate their projects to the xfce
> subversion repository if they wish (proper approval needed as usual).

As i said i don't want a second freshmeat or sourceforge... I think i
will not allow upload of tarballs of applications... a direct download
link to the tarball will be enough I think.

> >You said about themes that you would like them to pass
> >a test, will it be also the case for apps and plugins?
> >

> I hope so!
>
> >(BTW: I think they must be in separate section). Will
> >them all or some of them also have to pass some kind
> >of test? (Note: it can be a good think sine it ensure
> >some quality)
> >

> well, I think it's important that submissions and uploads are tested and
> verified before putting them live on the website. I'm sure that this
> will be taken into account.

Indeed my intentions are to test apps, plugins and themes before
"releasing" them to the public... I think I will dedicate a virtual
linux to this so I test with the "same" installation. Still not sure
on the distro or the packages...

> >Finally, one last thing: I would like in such a site
> >to have some news of what is under work. For example
> >you can post something every time a
> >program/plugin/theme is updated or when a new one is
> >uploaded. This have 2 avantages I think:
> >- Everybody can easily be aware of the current state
> >of each work, and see when there is something new.
> >- It makes people feel that something is on the way
> >and that work is in progress. (If we have a look at
> >the XFCE-Goodies page, we can see that it's always the
> >same page we have. It makes an impression of something
> >figed, who don't move anymore.)

I think this is a very nice idea... Show that xfce is a living
creature and work is done every day...