[Xfce-apps] proposition of framework

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Wed Mar 9 11:21:35 CET 2005

samuel verstraete wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:24:39 +0100, Benedikt Meurer
><benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
>

>>And we should probably add the goodies here as well. Tho, in separate
>>categories: "applications" and "panel plugins".
>>

>ok then i have
>
>art
>applications
>(panel) plugins
>
>Are you sure that there will remain enough difference between plugins
>and applications? For my part plug ins have always had a kind of
>negative feeling (like in minor).
>And we'll concentrate on xfce only (so rox will be ignored)

why? I would say that rox (albeit not the preferred choice) and
devilspie are amongst the first two programs I see fit for an xfce
directory. If only it was to signal to people that 'allternatives' exist
and work well. (root-tail?!)

>Shall i take the framework of KDE-apps.org for the division of applications?
>Office
>Multimedia

>Scientific
>Security
>Utilities
>
>It seems a little huge in my point of view...

mine too. Do we need this? it would risk showing more empty categories
in the beginning... that would signal to the user that there is hardly
anything around for xfce.

> Although the extra
>effort is limited (i can make as many subdivision as we would like)
>it's also a little bit strange and non-attractive to see empty
>categories.
>
>Second thing i wondered is if you guys would like to keep a consistent
>look with www.xfce.org . Off course i keeps things nicely together but
>it makes it more interesting for us (me and a mate of mine) if we are
>free in this matter... (i would keep it simple and clear so don't
>expect a dark cluttered website but ... )

not particularly. You're free to pick a complete other design. A 'clean'
design would probably fit xfce best though, so stay low on heavy
graphics. It should be pretty of course, a little eye-candy doesn't hurt
either.

>Sofar, i contacted you on irc for the server side of things... do you
>read this stuff or was it a worthless effort?

I see... everything

=^D

sofar