[Xfc-dev] Getting started with development, helping out the project

Bo Lorentsen bl at lue.dk
Thu May 17 00:02:55 CEST 2012

On 2012-05-14 09:52, Zsolt Peter Basak wrote:
> I have decided to help out the project, as I want to gather more
> experience, and want to make XFCE better.
Xfce can always use more hands ...
> First, I'm pretty sure that
> one can't just jump into the middle of coding, there is a road to
> that. The first thing I've done after checking the website, was
> looking through the "Getting Involved" information. Sadly, the
> development and bug fixing part is pretty short, not that informative.
I think this is quite normal for a open source project, there is no
predefined way to get started, really :-)
> So I would like to ask you. How could I start helping out the project?
> Like sorting out bugs, reviewing them, mark them for review/close, and
> so on.
I thinks the "normal way" to do this is get the source code (from git)
of the project you like to work with (there are plenty of these in
Xfce), start by making small patches and send these to the original
author, and don't expect him to accept every thing you have done, and be
prepared to learn.

If this works out well, you may be able to help out with bugs, and when
people knows you better, you may gain access to some part of the git
repos. or you may take over some of the orphan projects there is.

There is no paved road as far as I know, so this could be a way to start.

Looking forward to see the result of your work :-)

/BL