[Xfc-dev] XFCE Foundation Classes alive ??

Kent Asplund hoglet at solit.se
Sat Oct 23 09:38:36 CEST 2010

I should have sent a mail I guess but I was only interested in seeing
if there was any active development.

I am much for lightweight and do not like that we programmers are using
up the advances in computer technology in a more engineers improving it.
On the other hand I am very much for OOP and making things robust and
easy to maintain. These two seems to be slightly in conflict.

On my spare time I am making a program for keeping track of time spent
on projects/tasks: TimeIT (https://launchpad.net/timeit). This program
is made primarily to be easy to use and do things automatically.

TimeIT is made with gtkmm and I found a few things I did not like.

1 gtkmm seems to be monolithic, you always get everything. (My program
  needed 26Mb running, not only the fault of gtkmm of course)
2 gtkmm is using sigc++
3 gtkmm did not fell 100% reliable. (Destruction sometimes happened in
wrong order when using gtkmm smart pointers).

#3 Is something that you can live with. It is much better than Windows Forms anyway.
#2 sigc++ is great and safe implementation the of observer pattern but it tends to draw the attention away from designing interfaces and the relation between the objects.
#1 Memory usage: Here is something that might be done something about.

So, noticing that Xfc is still having some life maybe I should try it
and see what end result it would be.
It would at least be nice to make some benchmarks comparing Xfc and
gtkmm memory usage. It would be something nice for you to have on the
homepage anyway. Is there some other reasons to choose Xfc over gtkmm?
I think you need a section on your homepage describing why choosing
"your" framework instead of others.

End of rambling
/Kent