[Xfc-dev] Applications for xfce

Sylvain Vedrenne sylvain.vedrenne at free.fr
Thu Feb 23 21:36:29 CET 2006

HJ Muller wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Is anyone out there developing applications using xfc ? I know there's a
> lot of plugins and some eye-candy available, but what about full scale
> apps, like mail clients, text editors, network and multimedia tools ?
> Xfce is fast, but still 'incomplete' in comparison with KDE and Gnome.
> Am I the only one out there that thinks xfce can rival KDE/Gnome if we
> start developing those kind of applications?
>
> Comments and opinions are always welcome
> HJ Muller
Hi,

You are not the only one. Happy to see some activity on this list!

I appreciate GNOME a lot, but I hate the fact that it is so slow. I
don't love KDE, but I use K3b. I don't much like the fact that Qt is
supposed to be cross-platform _and_ GPL, but that you don't actually
have both at the same time (example version N in GPL for GNU/Linux, but
only version N-1 in GPL for Windows).

On the other hand I love XFCE and it's mouse ;-)
I use it every day, at work, and at home.

Therefore I hope XFCE will continue to develop, and that there will be a
"stable" XFC very soon, because it will make it possible to have XFC
available as official distro packages, so to have "real" users (not only
developpers) for it.

I expect there are several people waiting for the first lib stamped as
"stable XFC", which ought to be close now, since Xfce4.4 is on its way?

Xfce doesn't rival KDE nor GNOME but it could some day...

Cheers,
--
GNU/Sylvain
http://www.lernu.net