[Xfc-dev] Applications for xfce

sofar sofar at foo-projects.org
Wed Feb 22 16:44:51 CET 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:35:04 +0200, HJ Muller <henniem at tebabank.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Is anyone out there developing applications using xfc ? I know there's a
> lot of plugins and some eye-candy available, but what about full scale
> apps, like mail clients, text editors, network and multimedia tools ?
> Xfce is fast, but still 'incomplete' in comparison with KDE and Gnome.
> Am I the only one out there that thinks xfce can rival KDE/Gnome if we
> start developing those kind of applications?
>
> Comments and opinions are always welcome

When you think of it - Xfce actually has a philosophy that doesn't virally
build it's own foundations like kde and gnome: most applications written
for Xfce are merely gtk+-2 applications and can run on any desktop and
just as fast - so most Xfce users tend to 'pick' the cherries from the
cake instead of reinventing entire applications.

There are not many applications out there written solely for Xfce - I
believe xfmedia is the only one that fits the shoe being a "real" type
of application. This is probably the biggest obstacle that application
developers might not want to take - confinement.

there are several unguided missiles out there doing prototyping for various
applications - but it would certainly help if there would be a core group
of solid applications filling up the Xfce default desktop (mail, web, media
- what else do we need?).

most likely the best place to begin is to figure out what application type
would be a good start to fill this gap

Auke