[Xfc-dev] Project plans 2007

Bo Lorentsen bl at lue.dk
Tue Dec 12 09:00:58 CET 2006

Sriram Durbha wrote:

> my suggestion : making XFC one single entity .
> instead of having to download twoor three different pieces and compiling
> them, it woul dbe much better if it were like Qt, just one source ball to
> get and build.
Agree, this is my plan too, and what Jeff has started doing.

But inside this "chunk of code" or tar ball comes different libraries,
like core, ui, glade and now sourceview. The reason for this is to make
it easy to build the lib with different abilities.

When putting this into deb packages, its much more easy to make small
packages like the ones Xfce4 uses in Debian.

> But the fact is that beginners prefer to focus their attention on learning
> to use the library to get their simple apps done.  Once they are
> comfortable, they can move to other things.. including complex builds with
> active dependency tracking.
I agree, it is a good thing to focus on, an I still plan to have XFC to
be one big tar ball and one big build, but I also hope the deb files to
be more specific.

/BL