[Thunar-dev] Problem with many home directories

Benjamin Stier benjamin.stier at ub.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Jan 8 14:50:59 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 01:54:43PM +0100, Pavol Rusnak wrote:
> On 10/23/2009 04:56 PM, Benjamin Stier wrote:
> > I have a problem with Thunar. I have about 13000 users in /home/
>
> Uhh, that's nasty. How about creating the following structure:
>
> /home/b/e/benjamin instead of /home/benjamin
> /home/p/r/prusnak instead of /home/prusnak
>
> ...and so on ? (We use similar scheme at our university ...)

Thanks for this tip, but that would mean a major rewrite of a lot of scripts
and our PAM module ;)

FYI, I'm running Thunar-0.9.0 on Solaris 10.

I tracked the problem down a little bit. The hang only occurs when "Location
Selector" is set to "Toolbar Style". If set to "Pathbar Style" or completely
disabled there is no hang at all (just a little one when I load /home with the
15000 directories ;) ).

Does anyone know where in the code I can find something helpful? I already
found a comment in thunar/thunar-vfs-os-generic.c which says
/* ignore '.' and '..' entries */

There are some other comments like this, but I don't really get where this
code is actually executed.

Regards,

Benjamin