[Thunar-dev] [SPAMKLASSAT av SU] Re: Tabs in Thunar

TW zupftom at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 19 08:54:20 CEST 2010

Hello,

I've been using Nautilus since it's Gnome's default, but I'm moving
towards Thunar because it's much faster to operate with the keyboard
only (with the help of Gnome's editable menu item shortcut feature -
by the way, I wonder whether this is also available in Xfce?).  I also
use Thunar on my old Laptop which runs Xfce.  I often end up with
quite a number of Thunar windows. It would indeed be nice for my
working habits to have them organized with tabs.

2010/4/19 V S <v_2e at ukr.net>:
[...]
> ############## Begin quote ##############
> Wed, 02 Dec 2009 21:53:32 +0200 <v_2e at ukr.net> напісаў(ла):

[...]
>> 2. We can also clearly see that Thunar has always been (and it must be)
>> a light, fast and simple to use file manager. I think nobody will
>> object?
>>
>> 3. There are also many people who thinks the 2 things mentioned above
>> are incompatible ("...the tabbed interface cannot be simple..."). I can
>> perfectly understand those people too.
>>
>> 4. So what a solution can be in this case? I guess, the answer is
>> simple: make this feature OPTIONAL. I would even say "strongly optional"
>> in some sense. :)

I believe there might be another possible solution.  I don't think a
tab feature needs to be heavyweight (if heavyweight means having to
keep multiple panes in memory).  One could emulate multiple panes like
kind of temporary dynamic bookmarks, i.e. in fact there is only one
file browser pane.  A tab widget that in fact always shows this one
pane one could make it possible to easily move to a different folder.
If those temporary bookmarks would also remember the selection state
and the view, that would be cool, but in my eyes no requirement.  My
naive guess is that this method would be slower, but more memory
efficient than tabs (as well as multiple windows which many people
probably use right now!).

But maybe I'm missing the point?

Thomas W.