[Thunar-dev] [SPAMKLASSAT av SU] Re: Tabs in Thunar

V S v_2e at ukr.net
Mon Apr 19 00:38:24 CEST 2010

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 23:23:06 +0200
Adrien ANDRE <adrien.andre at etudiant.univ-lille1.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use thunar everyday and i'm very often opening/closing it.
> And i often need to launch it several times on different directories at
> one time to drag n drop files.
>
> Like my firefox, i'd like to launch thunar once for all when i log in
> and close it when i log off.
>
> Haven't you thought about adding tabs ?
>
> Sure a trick would have to be found to improve drag n drop from a tab to
> another. Maybe split the window into frames, like in Emacs.
>
> Good luck
> and thank you!
>
> Adrien ANDRE
  Many people have already suggested adding tabs to Thunar. And I am
not an exception, by the way. :)
  Here is an old discussion where I posted some non-real screenshots:

############## Begin quote ##############
Wed, 02 Dec 2009 21:53:32 +0200 <v_2e at ukr.net> напісаў(ла):

>   Hello, everyone!
>   I've been reading all the discussions about "Tabs in Thunar" and
> related things and here what I thought:
> 1. We can clearly see that there really are many people who uses Thunar
> and wants it to have tabs. I'm not going to ground this point of view
> right now (for the 1001st time :) ), I can only say, that I perfectly
> understand this point of view (I've got the same, in fact).
>
> 2. We can also clearly see that Thunar has always been (and it must be)
> a light, fast and simple to use file manager. I think nobody will
> object?
>
> 3. There are also many people who thinks the 2 things mentioned above
> are incompatible ("...the tabbed interface cannot be simple..."). I can
> perfectly understand those people too.
>
> 4. So what a solution can be in this case? I guess, the answer is
> simple: make this feature OPTIONAL. I would even say "strongly optional"
> in some sense. :)
>
> 5. Thinking of all said above, I decided that the only thing I can do
> right now is dream up a little. I mean I decided to imagine "Thunar with
> tabs". Of course, I am a very bad artist (in fact, I am a terrible
> artist or even not an artist at all :) ), but still I know what GIMP is
> ;)
>   So, here what I've got:
> http://pic.ipicture.ru/uploads/091202/l2YYv8N4jI.png
> Or even more brave solution:
> http://pic.ipicture.ru/uploads/091202/XN5vV63KFq.png
>
>   So, please understand me right. I just wanted to see by myself and to
> show everyone else how Thunar could look with tabs. Now you may decide
> whether such interface looks good or not (but who can say that it looks
> ugly? :) this is still our good old Thunar, just a little bit "tabbed"
> :) ).
>
>   After all said above I'd like to hear your opinion on this topic. Are
> you or are you not agree with such Thunar interface's right to exist?
>
> P.S. Anyway, while looking at the screenshots and thinking about all
> this, please keep in mind my words about "strongly optional" and that
> with only one tab it will still look like this:
> http://thunar.xfce.org/images/filewindow-1.png
>
> P.P.S. Of course, I (and I believe -  we all) will use Thunar with or
> without tabs. That's because I just... love it. You know, it is like a
> good old friend to me :)
>
>   Have a nice day!
>   Vladimir

The tab interface in the picture is great, better than Nautilus's.
############## End quote ###############

The new links to those "screenshots" are:
- http://10pix.ru/img1/817207/1238214.png
and
- http://10pix.ru/img1/933551/1238226.png
respectively.
  I would like to hear some new opinions on them. Do you like them?

Regards,
Vladimir.

-----
 <v_2e at ukr.net>