[Thunar-dev] multiple thunar instances and session management half-baked

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Mon Mar 9 15:35:24 CET 2009

Dennis Heuer kirjoitti:
> On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 12:53:20 +0200
> Jari Rahkonen <jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:
>

>> Getting a new password (or changing the email address I presume) is as
>> simple as sending an email to the admin.
>
> you don't get the problem. the admin can only re-fresh an old account
> but not <close> it. bugzilla does not allow the user to shut down his
> account. btw., this is against most national laws. it is also against
> international law. though the user can't expect to get his entries
> deleted, the closure of his account is his right. bugzilla treats this
> right with ignorance and a selfish position of the bugzilla developers
> who just don't want the user to do this (by original statements).

So you're just being nit-picky? As you said, you can easily remove any
sensitive personal information, or not even provide it in the first
place. The last time I checked, the only thing the Xfce bugzilla asks
for is a valid e-mail address, which is easy to come by and hardly
considered sensitive information by the standards of any law. But I see
this is a matter you take personally, so I'll refrain from discussing it
further.

>> There's simply no way someone would want to do you a favor by
>> fixing your personal pet peeve if your only argument is that the
>> software is 'half-baked' if they don't. But maybe you don't see the
>> problem because of a language barrier or something...
>
> i understand what you mean but can't agree. to be truthful, more than
> 90% of 'magnificious' desktop software in the world is, and god knows,
> half-baked (if not crap) because, it seems, the intends of the
> developers are so small that not even functioning well in an
> environment of certain standard (X) existing decades before this tools
> is in focus.
>
> if you see supporting the environment as a personal pet peeve, there's
> something wrong with your attitude. you could have argued that Thunar
> is for XFCE and that's it. however, how you argue is only strange.
>
> am not expecting anything anymore from a desktop

Anything that doesn't implement and expose the standards to the tiniest
detail (ie. pretty much every piece of software ever) is crap?
Supporting whatever functionality the environment offers is nice, true,
but providing a good user experience for most of us is often even more
important. That's pretty much the gist of the Xfce philosophy as I
understand it.

However that's probably not relevant in this case, as the most likely
reason for Thunar's incomplete session support is that no-one has had
the time, energy and/or will to implement it properly.

What I meant by the 'pet peeve' comment was that there are surely
several things Thunar doesn't do the way someone wants it to or
standards it doesn't implement, but any amount of complaining isn't
likely to fix the situation.

I'm sure you understand that unless you're willing and able to do the
work, you need to convince someone else to do it. Emphasis on the word
'convince', which is very distinct from 'order' or 'shame'.

> bye,
> dennis

- Jari