[Thunar-dev] multiple thunar instances and session management half-baked

Cory Christison cory.christison at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 19:24:51 CET 2009

Dennis Heuer wrote:
> hello
>
> i love thunar and see no option to it. that's why i'm in the need to
> convince you that the current way is half-baked.
>
> thunar even works with the old xsm - allowing for even slimmer systems.
> this is rare today and great. however, generally, multiple thunar
> instances are remembered correctly, it seems. though i found that at
> about four instances the latter windows aren't correctly positioned (on
> workspaces). however, may be of other reasons. the problem is not the
> positioning but that all instances share the same configuration. the
> thunar instance configured to look like a spatial view to show only
> some starters looks the same like the fully configured thunar for
> administrative tasks after a fresh login. this includes sorting, zoom,
> etc.
>
> i please you to save the full state of an instance because otherwise
> thunar can't be used to stay open in parallel on multiple workspaces.
>
> many thanks,
> dennis heuer

I don't think the intention was for it to be 'half-baked'. I think the
developers just didn't forsee that type of usage pattern.

I feel it was rather rude to come barging in here exlaiming this
magnificent peice of software was 'half-baked.'

I feel that for general users it was very well thought out.

I think that you would have a more positive response if you would have
used the bug  tracker, and submitted this as a bug. Not claiming the
software is half-baked and useless.

Long time happy Thunar user,
 - Cory Christison