[Thunar-dev] Add as a plugin or touch the core system?

Oscar Miras oscar.miras at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 17:58:29 CET 2009

Hi ,

First of all, sorry for my English: I'm studying to improve it, really.
My name's Oscar Miras, and I'm a student working on my final project degree;
at the Informatics Barcelona's School.
Me and my tutor are deciding in wich project we are going to work on. We're
checking mainly two programs: Gqview ( now Geequie) and Thunar.

We want to add a new feature to make navigation between files more intuitive
. For instants, one example is to group by date all the pics shown on the
navigation windows of Thunar, in a similar way that Fotolog does: showing it
as calendar format , emphasing on the dates where the major amount of pics
were created. The reason is that when Thunar ( and more others image
navigation programs ) have a large amount of pics, it's quite difficult to
find the exact picture you are trying to find( even using thumbails)
Moreover, people do not usually change the default name of a picture when
they make one with their camera. We also may color the days of the calendar
where more photos has occurred.

We're thinking also about using other meta-data information that multimedia
files can give us, so maybe we colud use the camera time and date to sort
the photos.
I'm talking all the time about multimedia files,but everything i'm talking
about could also be applied to other types of files  . There have been just
two exemples; the project has just started ;).

The main question is: if we finally decided to add this feature to Thunar,
should it be part of the core of Thunar (and maybe make it as a 'switch
option'), or does it look like more like a plugin? Is it really so difficult
to modify the core of Thunar ( we want to finish project on July, working on
it 4 hours a day )

Thank you very much for you time!
Sorry again for my English!
Óscar.

PD: I'm using new Debian Lenny with XFCE :P