[Thunar-dev] code for loading folder contents in same window instead of opening a new one

anna citizenofnowhere at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 21:34:21 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I'd like to ask if someone would be kind enough to explain to me how the changing a directory works with respect to the thunar source code (and how I can pass my own directory to that process).

Background:

What I'm trying to pull is a homebrew patch for spring loaded folders (yes I know there has been discussion before, I just wanted to do it to learn something new).

It's sort of half working - I got it to open a new window when I hover over a folder with the contents of that folder.

I modified thunar-standard-view.c, and set a timer in the function thunar_standard_view_get_dest_actions that gets triggered when you hover.

It then (in a nutshell) runs the following code:

		  /* popup a new window */
		  application = thunar_application_get ();
		  new_window = thunar_application_open_window (application, file, gtk_widget_get_screen (G_OBJECT(window)));

		  /* grabs focus for new window, prevents accidental launches*/
	          gtk_widget_grab_focus (new_window);
		  annawindow = 1;

This opens up a new window.

What I really want is to be able to load the contents of the folder that Im hovering over in the SAME window. This way I don't need additional actions to close all the spring loaded windows when the drop is done (unecessarily complicated imo).

BUT I'm not sure how to do this correctly. I've found several functions in the code that appear to do something similar, and from what I understand opening a folder (say on double click) requires sending a "signal" to change directory... but that kind of goes over my head  Like I said I'm still learning a lot.

So yeah, if someone would be so kind as to explain the bit about changing the direcotry... I think could take it from there.

Thanks in advance for any help!!